- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups thinly sliced and chopped cabbage (½ of small head of cabbage)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 scallions (1 bunch), sliced
- 1 jalapeño chili, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 jalapeño chiles, seeded and halved lengthwise.
- 1 pound white fish fillets of your choice (if frozen thaw in fridge 24 hours in advance. Always remove from packaging and place in a shallow baking dish for thawing.)
- ½ cup flour
Sides to Serve With Fish Tacos:
- 8-12 flour or corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 2 limes, halved and quartered lengthwise
- Mexican Rice (optional)
- Refried Beans (optional)
In a large bowl, combine sour cream, lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cabbage, cilantro, scallions, and chopped jalapeño.
- In a large skillet (a cast iron skillet works best), heat canola oil and add the 4 halved jalapeños.
- Lightly salt and pepper fish fillets.
- Put flour on a plate and dredge fillets in it.
- Place fish in hot skillet and brown on each side; 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Brown the jalapeños on each side turning at the same time you flip the fish fillets.
- Prepare tortillas for steaming, plan on 2 to 3 tortillas per person.
- While the fish cooks, steam the tortillas. For a slide show of this process see how to steam tortillas in the techniques section of my cookbook.
- Halve and quarter the 2 limes. Place in a small serving dish.
- Remove the fillets and jalapeños from the skillet and serve immediately.
- To make a taco, fill tortilla with fish. Squeeze some lime juice over the fish. Top fish with coleslaw mixture. Add a few grilled jalapeños and serve.
- If you like you can add homemade Mexican rice (optional) and refried beans (optional) to your fish taco or just serve on the side.
Recipe adapted from Food Everday: Great Food Fast, by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. New York: Clarkson Potter Publishers (2007).